The discovery of the megalithic tomb at Ca na Costa, in 1974, provided evidence of the presence of man in the Pitiusas in the Bronze Age. Dated at around 1600 B.C., this funerary monument meant Formentera's "arrival" in prehistory. Ca na Costa, together with other remains from the period, attests to the presence of human communities almost four millennia ago.
Since the times of the Phoenicians and Carthaginians, Formentera's history has paralleled that of its neighbour Ibiza. Its Phoenician and Roman remains are less extensive than in Ibiza, however, the Roman camp at Can Blai, at kilometre stone 10 on the main road, is the most interesting. There is unequivocal evidence that the island was populated in antiquity. The Greek historian Strabon, for example, confirms this at the beginning of our era, and is the first to refer to Formentera, as Ophiusa, in his "Geography". Other authors of ancient times speak of the Pitiusas as "islands of pines".